Pope Asks Question and Gives Homework

Pope Francis speaks at today’s Angelus. Screenshot from Vatican video.

As the Holy Father’s “style” continues to develop, he has taken to asking more questions, seeking crowd interaction, and then assigning a task. I think he always did these things, but now it has become a sort of weekly “feature”.

The question that Pope Francis asked in today’s Angelus was: “Do you read a passage from the Gospel every day?” – to which there was a mixed reaction from the crowd.

So he continued, “But it is important! Do you read the Gospel? It’s a good thing; it’s a good thing to have a small book of the gospels – a small one – to carry around with us, in the pocket, in the purse, and to read a small passage from it at any hour of the day.

My small Book of the Gospels and Psalms. Though it looks a little worn, I haven’t been carrying it in my pocket.

PREDICTION: Soon many of the gift shops and bookstores in Rome will have specials on pocket-sized gospel books.

So: Do you have a small book of the gospels? Do you read from it?

Towards the end of the Angelus address the Holy Father said, “Don’t forget: this week, listen to Jesus! And think about this thing [I mentioned] about the Gospel: Will you do it? Will you do this? Then, next Sunday, you can tell me if you’ve done it: if you have a small book of the gospels in your pocket or your purse, to read a brief passage during the day.”

This entry was posted in Ad Hoc and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Pope Asks Question and Gives Homework

1. Charlotte says:

Do you have an ISBN number for your copy or a link to find some? I’m thinking this might be a nice Easter gift for the older children.

2. Johanna Horton says:

Does iPhone Bible count?

3. Scepter sells a New Testament with a yearly reading plan built in. ISBN 9780933932777.

4. Mary Cameron says:

I carry around the the Douay-Rhiems version on Kindle and read it everyday. And if I remember correctly, it was free!

5. Judy Manlove says:

I read the mass readings of the day, including the gospel reading, every day. I usually read them on the computer, and use either the Creighton University website or the USCCB website, both of which also offer meditations on the readings. I keep icons for both sites on my favorites bar, so it just takes one click to access the site and another for that day’s readings. Occasionally I use my full sized Bible instead. I used to have a pocket New Testament and Psalms, but it was one of the casualties of our downsizing, and I will not get another. I also have USCCB at one click on my phone, but prefer the full screen of the computer. I sometimes go to Biblegateway.com, which allows you to look up by book and verse in a number of different translations (New American is not among them as they have denied permission to put it on the site and it is under copyright.) You can also look up by key word or phrase on that site, but you have to have the correct words for the version you choose.

• Fortunately there are a lot of great online resources, like these, out there nowadays. Many people also like to look at the daily readings via the Magnificat or Living with Christ publications.

• Judy Manlove says:

At the USCCB.org website you can choose either the readings of the day by clicking on the calendar, or by clicking on Bible, and going down to “books of the Bible” you can pick out any book and chapter you want to read from the New American Revised. At the end of each chapter are notes and cross-references.

6. Johanna Horton says:

I use Biblegateway.com, also.