Do You Know It?

The St. Michael Prayer: Do you have it memorized? Do you say it? Do they say it in your parish, perhaps after daily Mass?

An excellent statue of St. Michael the Archangel that I photographed in Brussels, Belgium.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection
against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host:
by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan
and all the other evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

This entry was posted in Scheduled and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Do You Know It?

1. hashtagcatholic says:

Finally you’ve blogged about one that I know by heart!

2. jzpd says:

A Carmelite Father taught us to pray it on the Crucifix at the conclusion of the Rosary. Why? Because we enter the Rosary with our profession of faith, the Apostle’s Creed, we pray the mysteries of our faith, those of the Rosary, when we exit we pray the St. Michael the Archangel prayer invoking him to protect us as we take the Gospel out into the world.

3. Mary Cameron says:

Here is the version I memorized as a child after hearing it prayed after every low Mass until after Vatican II. We prayed it for the defeat of Communism in Russia.And our prayers were answered. It may be significant that Gorbachev was baptized secretly by his grandmother. What was he baptized? — Michael!

I have capitalized the differences:

St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our protection
    against the MALICE and snares of the devil.
    WE HUMBLY BESEECH GOD TO COMMAND HIM,
    and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host:
    by the DIVINE power
    THRUST into hell Satan
    and all the other evil spirits,
    who ROAM THROUGH the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.
    Amen.
    Compare it to the Latin -it seems to be a faithful translation.
    This is one of my morning prayers. I also learned to say it at the end of the rosary.

• Yes, unfortunately there are a fair number of variations with this prayer, though all more or less say the same thing. It’s a bit of a mystery to me why in English there isn’t really a settled translation.

• Mary Cameron says:

I checked my Father Lasance missal (original copyright 1906), and it has my version. That was not too many years after Pope Leo XIII is said to have composed it. I think the newer version was part of the trend of removing “hard words” like “malice” and “beseech” from the liturgy. We are probably lucky that the liturgists left the Pater Noster alone.

4. Analda Anglin says:

Yes to all three questions! We also pray it during the Pro Life prayer vigils outside the Huntsville abortion business.

5. Phyllis Trexler says:

Always a apart of our Mass at St. Mary of the Assumption. Even our youngest grandson knows this one by heart and he is in Kindergarten. P. Trexler