My New Assignment

With twenty days left until I complete my time in Rome – and much yet to do to finish my academic degree – I am pleased to announce today the new assignment that Bishop Baker has given me for when I return.

My assignment letter.

From July 1, 2014 my assignment will be as follows:

• Administrator of Saint Barnabas Parish in Birmingham (South East Lake), which has a K-8 School
  • Administrator of Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Birmingham (Gate City)
  • Hispanic Ministry at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Birmingham (Huffman), under the guidance of the Pastor, Fr. Andrew Kennedy
  • Marriage Tribunal work, under the direction of the Judicial Vicar, Fr. Gregory Bittner

I am very grateful to the Bishop for this assignment, and look forward to going home, settling down, and getting to work. It has been constantly on my mind ever since I knew about it. And I have been praying for my future parishioners for quite some time now – from even before I knew exactly which assignment I would have. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Here is a Google Street View of St. Barnabas:

And here is a Google Street View of Holy Rosary:

Msgr. Eugene O’Connor, the pastor emeritus who served St. Barnabas for over 35 years, will continue to reside in the rectory, and I consider it a great honor to have him there and to be able to learn from him.

I also think of the most recent pastor, Fr. Michael Wrigley, who died quite unexpectedly last December, after suffering a sudden and serious illness while on retreat. He loved the Lord and strove to share that love with others. I have fond memories of Fr. Wrigley, who was a kind and gentle soul, and I pray that I can follow his good example of love and service. May he rest in peace!

I particularly look forward to visiting St. Barnabas School on a daily basis and getting to know all of the students, teachers, staff, and parents. Learning names has never been one of my strong points but I am determined to learn everyone’s name as quickly as possible!

Holy Rosary was generously served by the Salesians for many years. More recently Deacon Daniel Rogers has been doing a spectacular job carrying forward and building upon the excellent work of charity that has long been carried out there. It will be great to learn from him all about Holy Rosary and get to know everyone there as well.

No veo la hora de volver a la diócesis y reanudar el precioso trabajo con la comunidad latina. Después de estos tres años en Italia, en los que he tenido que aprender y hablar diariamente el italiano, mi español es un poco “oxidado”, pues ¡pido a Uds. su paciencia mientras “cambio el chip” y me amoldo!

Finally, the work that I will assist with in the Marriage Tribunal is extremely important in the life of the Church, and directly related to what I have been studying these past three years in Rome. I will have to begin making a practical application of what until now has largely been theoretical, so I know that I have a lot to learn, and that Fr. Bittner and everyone else in the Tribunal will be sure guides for me.

Although these assignments take effect on July 1st, my first public functions will be Confessions and Mass on Saturday, July 5th at St. Barnabas. I will be arriving back from Europe on the 1st, and from the 2nd until the 5th will be moving in, getting organized, and adjusting to the time change.

Please join me in praying that I will be a good father to all the people whom I have been called to serve! Thank you, and thanks be to God!

Read what Pope Benedict XVI said about St. Barnabas here.

This entry was posted in Scheduled and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to My New Assignment

1. hashtagcatholic says:

Yay! Congratulations. Can’t wait to go to Mass at Saint Barnabas!!

2. jzpd says:

Harold and I wish you God’s blessings as you begin a new chapter in your ministry. May our Blessed Mother watch over you and enfold you in the mantle of her love.

3. gina zierdt says:

Congratulations, I am so happy for you and your new flock.
    You have been a blessing to Holy Spirit Parish as a Priest
    and a friend not to mention the best source to answer questions about the Faith.
    Thank you.

4. Bee says:

Congratulations on your new assignment Father. I know you will be a great blessing to all whom you serve. God bless you, and thank you for saying “yes” to God’s invitation to the priesthood. I’ll continue to keep you in my prayers.

5. dmgardiner says:

​Congratulations! God bless you abundantly in your work of saving souls!

6. Marianne says:

good luck in your new assignment. Hope to see you.

7. Edith Robus says:

Congratulations. All are blessed to have you serve them. Will double my prayers for you. God Bless!!

8. Marianne Mayer Wertz says:

Father, I pray for you daily, and glad that you are happy with your assignment. You have lots of supporters here in the Hsv and I’m wishing you the very best. Thank you for sharing this info with all of your ‘fans’ back here in the States. Glad you’ll be ‘home’ soon. God bless you!

9. jrpayne827 says:

May God Bless you in your new assignments, Father. The Holy Rosary Church looks like a lovely little country church! I will be praying for you.

10. deacondan says:

you will be racking up some milage! congratulations on your quadruple assignment.

11. Isabel Oliveras says:

Kennedy and i will be there!!! Yea yea yea!!!! Congratulations !!!
    FELICES DE VERLO Y TENERLO POR AQUI,!!

12. Bob Boffa says:

Dear Fr Micheal Would surely smile at this news, in fact he may have helped to arrange it! You ll be a neighbor !!!! Congrats…. GOD BLESS anf Thx YOU Lord…

13. Charlene says:

Not to worry! You will be wonderful! They will love you! You will be in my prayers. Please let your virtual parishioners know how things are going every now and then! Vaya con Dios!

14. Bob Boffa says:

And you ll work With Fr Jim Hedderman!!!! Hey what about Italian ministries! lol

15. SylviasFaces@aol.com says:

Rev. Jerabek, le deseo mucho éxito en su nueva asignación. Que Dios lo bendiga.

16. Analda Anglin says:

Father, would you please explain the difference between a parish administrator and a parish pastor?

17. Joni Boulet says:

Congratulations to both you and the parishioners of St. Barnabas!! What a blessing!

18. Maria says:

My prayers continue for you and your fellow students,,, God bless you in your new assignment, and many thanks for the glimpses of Rome you have provided- to one who has never been there,

19. Marge Smathers says:

Congratulations on your new assignments. The people of those parishes are blessed to have you to minister to them. I’m very happy that you have a school to administer to, also. You have a wonderful way with students and they will thrive under your guidance. God bless you and safe travels “home”.

20. Phyllis Trexler says:

Congratulations on your new assignment. How wonderful to be associated with a parish that has a school. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I hope that you will still have time to blog about your new assignment. I have certainly enjoyed reading your blogs about life in Rome and your explanations of church laws.

21. Amy Welborn says:

Great news – congratulations!

22. Libet kuehn says:

Congratulations ! Sounds like you will be very busy. Rob and I will see on our way to Gulf Shores sometime this year. January for sure! Libet

23. Renee G says:

WOW!!! At first I thought this was a list of possible assignments but I quickly realized you had FOUR.

24. mmfollbaum says:

You will be busy, for sure! Congratulations! I love hearing the excitement as you write about your new assignments. The churches are lovely and I pray that the transition will be smooth. I do hope that you are able to find the time to continue to blog. I don’t follow many blogs on a daily basis (not even a handful!), but yours is one that I enjoy seeing in my inbox. God bless you! Michele F.

25. Theresa Petruzella says:

Congratulations! Have a safe trip home. If you need help just let me know. God be with you always! Welcome to St. Barnabas Church and Thank you for your help with Holy Rosary. Fr. Jim and Fr. Michael will rest in peace. God Bless you and your family always. Petruzella Family!

26. Sr. Judy Peikert says:

God bless you Father! So glad you will be at St. Barnabas. I could almost see Msgr. O’Connor smiling through the phone when he told me!! Great news for God’s people in all your new assignments! : )