The Proper Headgear

As of this evening I have now acquired the proper headgear for my soon-to-be academic rank (please God, as of next Wednesday): the green-trimmed tricorno or biretta:

Green for Canon Law
Yes, the pom-pom needs to be cut open still. I’ll do that when I get home.

This biretta is not for liturgical use; it will only be used for academic ceremonies, such as when I attend graduation at the diocesan high school graduation in the future. It will also make a great conversation piece for the schoolchildren, when I visit classrooms.

The biretta for the license in Canon Law (JCL) has three fins (that’s the one that I got); the biretta for the doctorate has four fins (that’s the one I won’t be getting).

This entry was posted in Ad Hoc and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Proper Headgear

1. Edith Robus says:

That will look so wonderful on you. Congratulations on this achievement. Can’t wait to have you back in Birmingham. God Bless!

2. hashtagcatholic says:

Will you also wear it for impromptu photo shoots?

3. Sandy Wells says:

You MUST post your graduation photos…in FULL ‘gear’ of course. Best of luck…praying for you!

• There’s not a ceremony in the sense that we are used to. We will all be there, wearing clerical suits, and they will present us with certificates, and probably say something Nice, and then we will have prosecco and pastries or something.

4. Mona says:

Congratulations on this achievement, Father! Safe travels back to the States!

5. mmfollbaum says:

Very cool! Be sure to post a photo of you in the biretta! 🙂 Congratulations!!

6. Bee says:

Congratulations Father! Such an achievement, and how wonderful to get your education in Rome, and how wonderful you are visiting all the sites you can before your repatriation to the States. In the most spiritual and holy way, I envy you. 🙂

7. Jeff Davidson says:

Congratulations Father. I went to the Feast of Corpus Christi last year in New Orleans in the Tridentine Rite and the pastor came out to help distribute in his academic biretta, he has an STD. It was kind of amusing, I asked him after and he said he didn’t have another regular biretta.

• Gotta get that man the title of Monsignor (whoops! that’s now longer possible) – then he could at least get something colorful and let his doctoral biretta have a rest 🙂

• Jeff Davidson says:

Haha, very true. I should have directed him to Poland’s ebay which sells foldable birettas for a rather inexpensive price, at least they did.

8. Doug cooper says:

I see you in a green trimmed saturno