Juris Canonici Licentiatus

Juris Canonici Licentiatus – or, basically, “License in Canon Law” – that’s what “JCL” stands for, the degree that I received today, and the letters that I can now put after my name.

Thanks to all who have prayed for me and otherwise shared this time with me in Rome! Many people have come here to visit, many have kept in touch via the blog; many – I am sure – have joined me in prayer, without my ever knowing about it in this life.

Thanks very much to all.

Here is how the Latin words “juris canonici licentiatus” are pronounced (audio player should display below):

We had a little “graduation ceremony” after we were done with our comprehensive exams this morning. It was a formality consisting of a fervorino by our class representative, a brief talk by the Dean of the Faculty, the presentation of (fake) diplomas, a group photo, then some sparkling wine and pastries.

What follows is a little pictorial story-time about my day.

Here is my (fake) diploma. The real one will come in a month or so. There will also be proper photos of the ceremony, etc. I should have those soon.

It's just a computer printout saying that I completed the course. The real one should be fancy, in Latin, etc.

It’s just a computer printout saying that I completed the course. The real one should be fancy, in Latin, etc.

This evening, it was time to celebrate, and so I went with three friends for a nice pre-dinner drink on a certain rooftop in central Rome:

Manhattan. Made very well. Which was surprising for Rome, since Italians on the whole don't drink mixed drinks, and they are often poorly made.

Manhattan. Made very well. Which was surprising for Rome, since Italians on the whole don’t drink mixed drinks, and so they are often poorly made here.

We could see the Pantheon quite nicely from where we were seated:

And over to our right, we have a nearly 1,900-year-old building...

And over to our right, we have a nearly 1,900-year-old building…

After our nice pre-prandials we went to a good restaurant not too far away. This impressive display of fish greeted us as we walked in. I have never really liked fish, but this display sort of almost made me want to have some.

But I didn't.

But I didn’t.

One of my friends had this beautiful appetizer, including the world’s best cheese (after American sharp cheddar), buffalo mozzarella:

Something that I will look forward to having on possible future visits to Italy. We can get it in the States but it's never as good.

Something that I will look forward to having on possible future visits to Italy. We can get it in the States but it’s never as good.

Meanwhile, I had the Italian version of mac-and-cheese, cacio e pepe (meaning “cheese and pepper), served with homemade tonnarelli pasta. Simple and extremely delicious:

I do miss American mac-and-cheese though.

I do miss American mac-and-cheese though.

There was another course but we will cut right to the grand finale, dessert, which three of us had:

You see the wild strawberries – they call them fragoline here – which Italians are wild about when they are in season, i.e. this time of the year.

A very satisfying day and a nice way to finish.

Now I need to finish packing, ship most of it home, take a little side trip with a friend, and finally get back to the diocese next week. I will try to post some occasional things during the next several days, but in any case hope to resume regular blogging once I get back to the diocese and get settled in my new assignment.

To everyone: thank you again for your prayers and support! Let us keep praying for each other!

This entry was posted in Ad Hoc and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Juris Canonici Licentiatus

1. Edith Robus says:

Thanks for all the blogs you have shared with us over the years they were wonderful and I learned a lot. Thanks for all the prayers you offered for us at the many shrines, etc. So happy you will be back in AL soon. Safe journey. God Bless! Edith

2. waltzingmtx says:

Congratulations! You have worked very hard and your prayers have meant so much to us. I will miss your posts from Rome. It has been 20 years since I was there so I loved getting to see it again through your eyes and camera lens. What a lovely celebration you had. I hope you are bringing back a recipe for that Italian Mac and Cheese!

3. Isabel Oliveras says:

Enjoy!!.,

4. Maria says:

Congratulations Father! Well done!
    Thank you for allowing us ( me) to join you in Rome -taking our prayer requests to the tombs of the saints – thank you so very much.
    I will keep you in my prayers for a safe journey back to the States, and in your new assignment.
    God bless and keep you!

5. Mona says:

Many congratulations, Fr Jerabek! I’ve enjoyed experiencing Rome with you. Safe travels!

6. Brian E. Breslin says:

Well done, Father. Congratulations. And the best Manhattans are made with Jameson’s and always straight up! Please continue to pray for all of your readers as we need your prayers.

7. Marge Smathers says:

I, too, congratulate you upon completing your studies in Rome. Your beautiful travel pictures will be missed, but I’m sure you’ll find more wonderful things to blog about when you return to AL and assume your new duties. I will be praying for safe travels for you and thank you very much for the many prayers you have said for all of us.

8. Charlene says:

Congratulations, Father! I celebrated with you in my heart! The dinner sounds absolutely relish! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing the evening with us! Enjoy your side trip and safe travels back home. Thanks also for sharing so much with so many. I have learned so much from your blog about Rome! It’s been enlightening and refreshing! Can’t wait to get back there to find some of the places you shared with us. God bless.

9. Charlene says:

I meant to say the dinner sounded absolutely relish (short for delicious).

10. Jack Priest says:

Congratulations! God bless you.

11. Lisa and Dave McCord says:

Congratulations! We know it was a lot of hard work, but you still managed to enlighten us about our Catholic faith and share some of Italy with all of us via your blog. We look forward to seeing you very soon back in the States. Praying that you have a safe and uneventful journey. God Bless, Lisa and Dave

12. Carolyn says:

Auguri! The Minerva…excellent choice for a celebratory beverage!

13. Odyssey753 says:

Congratulations Father! Beautiful pictures; I have been in that square next to the Pantheon a couple of times but never knew there was a rooftop restaurant right there. Have a safe trip back home.

14. Linda Smith says:

Father, Congratulations on a job well done! What a beautiful dinner you and your friends had to celebrate “graduation day”! I could almost taste the food because the photos were so good! The view was marvelous from where you were dining. What a way to end such a special day! Again, congratulations and safe trip home to Alabama! I look forward to seeing you!
    Linda

15. Phyllis Trexler says:

Congratulations on completing your studies. Our prayers continue for you as you take up your new assignment. Hopefully you will be able to continue your blog with great pictures and stories from the South. God’s blessings and safe travel.

16. Maria Sackmann says:

congrats, Father for your Diploma, first of all . your photos, and the delicious meal !! in your country you will miss the rooftops!!

17. bhmcatholic@charter.net says:

You are in my prayers…

18. Rosemary and Bill Burke says:

Congratulations !! Hoping to see you sometime in the future. We so enjoyed our cruise with you. We will keep you in our prayers