Black Friday Shopping, Catholic-Style

A friend forwarded me a sale notice from “Veils by Lily”, a company/apostolate that sells chapel veils for ladies to wear in church – also called mantillas.

More and more women are re-discovering the venerable tradition of wearing a veil while in Church, a beautiful scriptural practice, spoken of by St. Paul himself in his First Letter to the Corinthians. Over at EWTN there is a helpful FAQ, which I would encourage you to read, explaining the proper moral sense of this passage and also addressing previous Church laws and practices.

For those who might be starting to hyperventilate right now, let me be clear: I do not think that women must wear veils in church. (I do think that all – men and women alike – should dress modestly in church!) However, I do think that it is a beautiful practice, and I recognize that it had a strong place in our Church’s history. I find it perplexing that this practice was so hastily discarded in the 1960s and 70s, as if it was suddenly harmful or erroneous. I’m glad that some people are learning to appreciate this tradition, and also that they can generally do so nowadays without getting judgmental stares from others.

Lily notes on her web site that December 8th, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, is Wear the Veil Day. Read more about it here and here. For those ladies who have been thinking about adopting this practice, maybe now’s the time to purchase a fitting veil and prepare to begin using it at Mass and Eucharistic Adoration starting on December 8th!

So take a look at Lily’s site and sale. The sale runs from today until Monday, Dec. 1st!

This entry was posted in Ad Hoc and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Black Friday Shopping, Catholic-Style

1. Charlene says:

I was very sorry when women stopped wearing mantillas to Church. I loved them. They embraced a solemnity and gracefulness that I missed and still do. I have seen ONE woman in my Church who wears a mantilla every Sunday. Maybe now there will be two or more joining her. Thank you, Fr. Jerabek! Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

2. hashtagcatholic says:

I’ve purchased from this site. Very nice quality.

3. bhmcatholic@charter.net says:

Thank you for posting.

4. Father, I promise not to start a war on “veiling” in your comment boxes, since I think I’ve talked about this on my blog a time or three. But I do have to say that any woman who wishes to cover her head at Mass for reasons of personal piety can do so quite nicely with a $5 scarf or a $10 winter hat. It is not necessary to festoon oneself in $40 worth of lace in order to be considered to be covering one’s head, especially if doing so would be a considerable strain to the family finances.

In fact, if we’re really going by St. Paul, we would have to admit that sometime in the later medieval ages when women’s head coverings stopped covering the woman’s actual hair in its entirety we had already reached a point where St. Paul might have had some disagreement with prevailing female customs. His writings make it clear that the purpose of the head covering was for a woman to cover her hair–that is, her glory–in church. Neither the “Jackie-O” inspired see-through mantillas nor the 1960s pillbox hat cover enough of the hair to be worthy of St. Paul’s instructions, in my way of thinking. Still, the Church did not specify what sort of hat or scarf was “enough” covering and women were free to wear either (and most women of that day wore hats to Mass on Sundays but carried a chapel veil for those unplanned stops in at church on days when they weren’t already dressed up and wearing a hat).

In any case, any woman who thinks that wearing a hat or other head covering to Mass will increase her prayerfulness or serve as a sacrificial gesture is always free to do so. I do wish someone would instruct the young ladies who like the beautiful lace veils, though, that it was never customary (or even appropriate) to wait until one has been seated inside the church and then pull out one’s gorgeous lace veil and drape it gracefully and carefully over one’s coiffure as I have seen many do; such a gesture can only draw attention to one, which is the opposite of the head covering’s purpose. True, since head coverings are no longer required for women–which I think a good thing–a woman who puts on a hat or veil in church isn’t in any sort of canonical trouble. It’s just a bit showy.

• If buying a $40 lace mantilla will strain someone’s finances, I’d be glad to help them.

Obviously, as with pretty much everything in life, people can go to extremes.

5. Charlene says:

Well said, andsometimestea!

6. Jenna says:

Is this the start of a series on “good gifts for consecrated virgins”? 😉

7. Carolyn Gallardo says:

I think a start-up for the chapel veil would be great! When we take a minute to put that veil on, it defines who we are about to visit.