A Holy Thursday Gift

For several months now I’ve been undertaking a transformation of the rectory chapel here at St. Barnabas, to change it from the guest room that it used to be to a room that looks like a chapel and is a fitting place to pray before the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Today, Holy Thursday, the new altar was delivered. It was very generously built and donated by a local businessman who has a woodworking club. Over the past several weeks he and his buddies built it, and today they delivered, assembled, and installed it. Some photos:

The wall behind it will be covered with a curtain soon; thus the window (and source of glare) will be hidden.

The emblem on the front of it is a bronze Lamb of God emblem. I hope to find some bronze candlesticks to complement it. The brass-tone tabernacle will stand out then in distinction from the various bronze implements.

I think I have a good crucifix to suspend behind it also, once the curtain is in place.

I have some first class relics of various saints, also, and over time I hope that I can find some good reliquaries to display them in between the candlesticks. I guess for a chapel this size we will have four candlesticks on the gradine (but I have to consult on this).

We do not know what relic is in the altar stone, the papers having been lost. But it is an old altar stone nonetheless, and I'm glad that it was possible to include it in this altar also.

We do not know what relic is in the altar stone, the papers having been lost. But it is an old altar stone nonetheless, and I’m glad that it was possible to include it in this altar also.

Of course I’ll need to get a nice altar cloth also. So… a work in progress! But I think it will be very nice when finished.

It happens that every now and then I do not have a public Mass scheduled on a certain day, so I’ll be able to celebrate Mass on this altar on those days. It will surely be of use to the other priest who lives with me and visiting priests as well. And of course, the Blessed Sacrament will be reserved and it will be a place of daily prayer.

A wonderful Holy Thursday gift!

This entry was posted in Ad Hoc and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Holy Thursday Gift

1. bobboffa says:

True beauty, true blessings

2. waltzingmtx says:

That is turning into a really lovely space! The blue is very calming and serene and the dark color of the altar makes it an exquisite focal point (as it should be!). Happy Holy Thursday!

3. Suzi Ekberg says:

Beautiful!

4. Judy Manlove says:

Your new rectory chapel is on it’s way to being awesome! Congratulations!

On another subject, brought to mind by your comments, at a recent Bible study I remarked that I did not know who’s relics were in our altar at Holy Spirit. Several of the people there were quite sure that our altar has no relics! They felt sure that there had been relics in the previous altar, before it was removed (about 1970?) to make room for an altar the priest could stand behind, but they did not know what had become of those relics, and insisted that a priest had told them that the current altar is relic-less. I thought if anyone knew, you would, so would like to hear from you on this question.

Also, am I right in thinking that relics cannot be sold or bought? How did you acquire your relics? Is there a depository that new churches can get relics from? Where and how did you get the relics for Saint John Paul II Catholic High School chapel? Maybe we need a blog on relics and regulations pertaining to them.
    Thanks, Judy

5. Edith Robus says:

So beautiful and to be delivered on such a special day. Truly a blessing!! Edith

6. Nancy M. Norman says:

Blessed Feast Day of Priests Father Jerabek! Our Bishop mentioned at the Schools’s children’s Mass last week to wish Priests a Happy Feast Day today – that it is the Feast Day of all Priests. Appropriate day for your beautiful new Altar to be delivered on. Thank you for sharing the pictures. May you also have a Blessed Tridium and Easter Father! God Bless you, Nancy M. Norman

7. Debra says:

That is beautiful. The Lord always provides for the good.

Debra

8. Analda Anglin says:

The thought of a local businessman and his friends donating their time and the material in this day and age to build, deliver, assemble, and install an altar for a priest is heartwarming and beautiful. God Bless them!

9. Mattie Shumate says:

Wow! IT IS BEAUTIFUL! Can’t wait to see the completed picture. What a blessing!